Monday, August 22, 2011

How I wish life could be vs. The reality of how life actually is. Which is better?

When I was a little girl, I loved animated kids movies. Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, The Lion King, Thumbelina, Charlotte's Web. You name it, I loved it.
When I was a little girl, I used to dress up like those characters. I had fairy wings, big puffy dresses, crowns, magic wands and ballet shoes.
When I was a little girl, I had Barbie dolls. Lots of Barbie dolls. I had three Barbie houses (Foldin' Fun House, Foldin' Travelling House and Unidentified house that probably wasn't actually trademarked by Mattel), two Barbie cars (a Corvette and a Picnic Van), two large bags of Barbie clothes and at least 15 Barbie's. And two Ken's.

When I was a little girl, I believed everything that those movies preached. Love will find you even if you sleep for 100 years. Always let your conscience be your guide. Hakuna Matata etc. I loved the lyrics of the songs in those movies. My favourite is from Thumbelina:

Let me be your wings
Let me be your only love
Let me take you far beyond the stars
Everything we're dreaming of will soon be ours
Anything that you desire
Anything at all
Everyday I'll take you higher 
And i'll never let you fall. 

Love it.

Now that I am older, I still love animated kids movies. I am pretty convinced that I will never not love kids movies. Although they really don't make kids movies like they used to. 
Now that I am older, I still love dressing up. Not so much in ballet slippers and magic wands. In pretty dresses and flowery tops mostly. 
Now that I am older, I still have my Barbie's. I don't really play with them anymore, I am saving them for my kids. I don't remember the exact age that I decided that would happen. Probably when I was around 10. 
Now that I am older, I love TV shows on DVD. I love Packed to the Rafters, Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, The OC, One Tree Hill, Scrubs and Robin Hood. I love how I can unwind completely while I am watching them. I love the stories. I love the romance. I love that I can smile when the moments are smile-worthy, cry when the moments are tear stained and giggle when the characters do. 

Sometimes I wish my life could be like my favourite TV show. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being a little girl. Sometimes I wish I could sing like they do in the movies. 

Most of the time though, I am pretty happy being me. But I still love escaping to the DVD's. It is my way of unwinding and switching off for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment